We were so pleased that in 2012, Ofsted were able to recognise the hard work and commitment we all have to Springwell Learning Community.
Summary of Key Findings for parents and pupils
Springwell Community Special SchoolThis is an outstanding school.
- Very effective strategies are in place to ensure that teaching is of the highest order and pupils get the most out of a very rich curriculum. An excellent ethos for learning has been created.
- The teamwork between staff to support learning is exceptional.
- Inclusion lies at the heart of the school’s work. Strategies to raise pupils’ self-confidence and to promote excellent behaviour are very effective. Consequently, pupils learn and understand the impact of their actions on others and make rapid improvements in their behaviour from the time they start at the school. The result of these factors is a very orderly, calm and safe atmosphere, where pupils behave exceptionally well.
- A common sense of purpose has been created where only the best is good enough for pupils.
- Outcomes, including pupils’ achievements and their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, have improved from good to outstanding overall.
Barnsley Pupil Referral UnitThis is a good pupil referral unit.
- The PRU secures marked improvements in pupils’ social, emotional and academic development. This results in positive changes in attitudes to education.
- Provision in Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2, as well as for anxious or school-phobic pupils, is often outstanding.
- Pupils’ achievement is good. They settle quickly, make faster than expected academic progress and are successfully narrowing the gap between their levels of attainment and national age-related expectations.
- Behaviour is good and pupils have a good understanding of keeping safe. Pupils, staff, parents and carers say behaviour is generally good and inspectors agree. Where standards of behaviour slip, this is managed very effectively.
- Attendance and punctuality improve rapidly for most pupils.
- Teaching results in good learning, with some exemplary practice evident. Support for pupils with complex behavioural or medical needs is outstanding.