The Developing Citizenship and Employability programme at Springwell Learning Community comprises of a varied careers education programme and independent advice and guidance to effectively meet the needs of our diverse learners.
The Careers offer has been designed to support all learners to acquire the educational, social and employability skills necessary to make a positive contribution beyond Springwell. Our Careers Programme is constantly reviewed and is adapted to provide the necessary support for all groups of learners.
Careers Education is provided through:
- Subject Lessons, – A varied curriculum offer develops life and employability skills from Y8-Y11. This includes a wide range of vocational options, to support general and specific accredited outcomes.
- Tutorials, Employability & Life Lessons – Discussions and learning opportunities to develop specific employability skills and learn about job processes.
- Work Experience- An intensive work experience programme available in Year 11 to enable the development of careers goals and skills.
- Careers Assemblies to support future pathways and ensure key messages are shared across KS3 and 4.
- Careers Day – Employers, Colleges and partner services are invited to this annual event to share their offer with the students and parents/carers of Springwell.
- Annual Review Process – As part of the annual review process all students from Y8 discuss their future pathways and have impartial advice from a TIAG representative present within the review.
- TIAG targeted sessions – TIAG representatives are also invited into school for targeted sessions to support the aspirations of all students.
Springwell tracks the effectiveness of its Careers programme through the evaluation of accredited outcomes and tracking pupil destinations. In 2018/19, Springwell had 93% of students transitioning into positive post 16 destinations. This compares favourably to 81% SEND and 87% PPG nationally (DfE, 2018) Further information around accredited outcomes and pupil destinations is available on our Outcomes page.
The school analyses its offer using the Gatsby Benchmarks and from these creates a yearly action plan to continually improve the Careers and Employability offer and develop the roles of staff within school.
To view our Provider Access Policy Statement, please click here.